Friday, March 28, 2008

Gratitude and not so much gratitude

I took some inspiration from my friend Windy and I am going to write about things that I am thankful for. But since I am not yet as perfected as she, I will also add some things I am not thankful for.
1. I am thankful for a nice warm shower on a cold spring morning.
2. I am thankful that I work at a dance studio and for an amazing boss. I get to wear basically whatever I want from exercise wear to business wear. I also get to bring my children when I need to (most every day because of their dance/tumbling schedules). I also have a very flexible schedule. So if I need to cut out early to go to a school play or pack meeting, I usually can. And I got to go home early yesterday when my mouth hurt. Which brings me to...
3. I am grateful for computers, email and digital media. I was able to email myself the files I needed so that I could do a lot of work last night lying in my bed with my laptop while I was on my painkillers for my mouth.
4. I am grateful for friends. It was nice to get a phone call thanking me for cookies that I ran over to a neighbors and she brings me the most delicious bread ever all of the time.
5. I am grateful that I got a phone call that I didn't have to pick up Jaredd from school this morning since my friend/carpool partner was already at the school. So I could take the aforementioned shower rather than try to fit that in before I go to work in an hour.
6. I am grateful for a husband who loves me. He stayed home from work yesterday because I had to get a crown on my tooth. I hate to have work done on my teeth. And he brought me a raspberry shake from Arctic Circle for lunch and chicken nuggets and fries at 10:20 p.m. so that I would have some calories yesterday. Then he ate most of the nuggets for me when it hurt too much to chew them.
7. I am grateful that I am almost caught up on my laundry.
8. I am grateful that Robbie will not have tumbling Thursday nights until 8:45 p.m. next year. Then maybe he will not be so grumpy/mean on Friday mornings. Mondays at 4:15 is much nicer.
9. I am grateful for instant rice, microwavable foods, crockpots, refrigerators and freezers. If I had to go out everyday and pick, grow, kill, clean, bake, etcetera all my own food everyday, I would starve. Dinner is so much easier now days.

And my not so grateful list:

1. I am not grateful for my trip to the dentist. It seems that because my old dentist has opened a new office in Draper, he left new dentists in charge of his old office, so my last few fillings have been sub par. Hence the new dentist's office and the crown. And another filling to be replaced in another 6 months or so.
2. I am not grateful for my parents not getting me braces as a child. Our dentist felt that since they were bottom teeth, they didn't matter because no one would see them. Except that left me with crossed teeth on the bottom that are very hard to clean and floss. So now I probably need to get braces (fortunately the new removable shield type) for the health of my teeth. And our insurance doesn't cover braces for adults, just gives you a "discount". There goes my tax refund.
3. I am not grateful for Cub Scout leaders that do not understand the word budget. Since I am the Primary counselor over Cub Scouts, I had the fun duty of telling them today that they have already spent about 75% of their budget for the year and they can not cover all of the pinewood derby cars, scout camp fees, etc. out of the budget. I only hope they can cover awards for the rest of the year. AAAAAH
I guess I should finish with one more thing that I am grateful for. When I was in 6th grade, one of my teachers went around the room and told all of the kids if they were optimists or pessimists. When he came to me, he said, "Shelly, I don't think you are an optimist or a pessimist. I think you look at both sides of things and then decide which viewpoint is the most logical to take." I am forever grateful to this teacher for this insight into why I cannot make just a gratitude list, but have some things from both viewpoints.

3 comments:

Windy said...

I have NOT perfected the art of gratitude. I just choose NOT to post all of the things that drive my crazy on Sunday - I have 6 other days of the week in which to do that!

Hope the tooth feels better!

Trever and Heather said...

I HATED getting my crown put on my tooth. Having the temporary crown (put on the day before Thanksgiving) was a pain in the arse and the worst pain I have EVER experienced (and mind you I've had a baby) was when they took the temporary off and put on the permanent. And I still have weekly pain from the tooth that is crowned! So I feel for you there sister...

Anyway, I like your list. Maybe AFTER I've moved and sold this house I will be able to make my own list without complaints- but if I made one right now I'd just be whiny.

Malauna said...

Good list. I can feel your pain about braces as an adult. Invisible would be ever so much better than 5 years of wax on the teeth to cover up poky metal in the mouth. Then 2 jaw surgeries, physical therapy to stretch my mouth, 5 crowns and 2 bridges. The things we do for the health of our teeth.

Hurray for earlier gymnastics class times (and cheerful children as a result).